In this article I am going to show you the best Hip stretches that you can do. By incorporating these into your stretching routine you can develop or maintain a healthy level of Hip flexibility.
Hip Stretch #1: Pigeon Pose
My personal favorite Hip stretch is the pigeon pose. It targets several areas of your hip, gluteus, and even your hamstring to a lesser extent. You want to aim for 2-3 sets of this stretch, and try to hold it for at least 30 seconds (with this particular stretch you can hold it for multiple minutes comfortably).
- Start by getting into a semi-lunge position with your front leg a little bit to the opposite side
- Slowly bend your front leg to the side (Picture 1), if you are having trouble move your front foot closer to your other knee to decrease the angle
- Ease into the position by leaning forward (Picture 2) until you feel a solid stretch and hold for an appropriate amount of time
Hip Stretch #2: Butterfly Stretch
The butterfly stretch is better known as a groin stretch, but is also a good stretch to loosen the Hips. Remember that the hip joint and the groins share a lot of common muscles to perform their respective functions. The butterfly stretch will allow you to open up your Hip and get a good stretch while also stretching your groin and adductors.
- Sit on the floor with your legs out in front of you
- Put the soles of your feet together as much as possible
- Pull your feet towards you using your hands on your ankles
- Push down on your knees using your elbows until you feel a good stretch